Donation Link: Formal Proposal

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Tue Dec 3 18:05:33 UTC 2013

On 2013-12-03 12:40 PM, John <John at klam.ca> wrote:
> Maybe the future of TB is in the development of server side mail system
> with a web based GUI, a la Roundcube, Squirrelmail.

In a sense, I agree wholeheartedly with this idea...

And this is precisely why I love and *only* use IMAP for accessing my email.

> From the perspective of the individual cloud based solutions may not be
> such a good idea. If you put all your data and communication in the
> hands of X then you are X's slave. Trying to get your data back may be
> very difficult and  switching to another cloud provider may be next to
> impossible.
>
> This is the main reason for my wanting apps like TB to succeed.

What I would love to see is Thunderbird's IMAP support *vastly*
improved, with a simple mechanism in place for being able to keep local,
highly compressed copies of all messages for each account for backup
purposes, so that in the event of a catastrophe on the server side, you
could use these backups to restore the entire IMAP store.

So, Thunderbird becomes a Desktop app for accessing your cloud based email.