Donation Link: Formal Proposal

Vincent el.cameleon.1 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 15:34:36 UTC 2013

Do you notice that Firefox recently add a donation
link<https://sendto.mozilla.org/page/contribute/EOYFR2013-snippetFR?source=snippettest_themeD_var4_TEST002_sand&amount=3&utm_source=snippet&utm_medium=snippet&utm_campaign=EOY_FR_D4&sample_rate=0.1&snippet_name=4215>to
its start page (at least in the French release)? I have just given
10€,
because it was very easy and I love Firefox.

See : http://img4.hostingpics.net/pics/309763donationlink.png

So if it work for Firefox, I really see no reason why we couldn't do the
same for the Thunderbird's start page (at least).

2013/12/3 Dave Koelmeyer <dave.koelmeyer at davekoelmeyer.co.nz>

>  Hi Kent,
>

> On 03/12/13 12:36, Kent James wrote:
>
> As I told Mark, I have zero confidence that will succeed in raising the
> funds that we need, so I don't think we should delay this proposal doing a
> fund-raising experiment that is expected to fail. Or do you really believe
> that adding a link on a Facebook page is going to raise the income that we
> need? I'm not saying we should avoid doing that, but it is not what the
> proposal is about.
>

> There's a world of difference between "adding a link on a Facebook page"
> in the hope that donations will magically roll in, and making a
> considerable commitment in time+effort to re-engage with the user
> community, with a clear marketing focus, via those channels - after a year
> of practically next to no activity. And then, sustain that commitment going
> forward.
>
> In all seriousness, I have a gut feeling it stands to be at least as
> effective a method of raising income as delivering an application which is
> going to nag me (under one scenario) every week for money - with respect,
> something I have not seen in a desktop application since the days of
> shareware.
>

> Cheers,
> Dave
>
> --