Donation Link: Formal Proposal

Dave Koelmeyer dave.koelmeyer at davekoelmeyer.co.nz
Tue Dec 3 06:41:12 UTC 2013

Hi Kent,

On 03/12/13 12:36, Kent James wrote:
> As I told Mark, I have zero confidence that will succeed in raising
> the funds that we need, so I don't think we should delay this proposal
> doing a fund-raising experiment that is expected to fail. Or do you
> really believe that adding a link on a Facebook page is going to raise
> the income that we need? I'm not saying we should avoid doing that,
> but it is not what the proposal is about.

There's a world of difference between "adding a link on a Facebook page"
in the hope that donations will magically roll in, and making a
considerable commitment in time+effort to re-engage with the user
community, with a clear marketing focus, via those channels - after a
year of practically next to no activity. And then, sustain that
commitment going forward.

In all seriousness, I have a gut feeling it stands to be at least as
effective a method of raising income as delivering an application which
is going to nag me (under one scenario) every week for money - with
respect, something I have not seen in a desktop application since the
days of shareware.

Cheers,
Dave

--