IMAP synchronization question

Jonathan Protzenko jonathan.protzenko at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 09:43:34 UTC 2013

Hi,

I've encountered a weird behavior that I managed to tame some years ago
using a combination of hidden prefs, but that I can't seem to fix now.
The problem could be summed up as "Thunderbird figures out there are
new messages in my IMAP folders but does not download them".

In more detail:
- the folder pane tells me there are 10 new mails in my "tb-planning"
folder,
- I click on the said folder, and then the 10 mails do _not_ appear,
- Thunderbird works for quite some time (connecting to server, opening
folder tb-planning, downloading new messages...),
- finally, the messages arrive.
The frustrating thing is that if I go offline, and ask Thunderbird to
download messages, it will aggressively fetch messages from other
folders.

Am I missing something or is it just the expected behavior?

Thanks,

jonathan

PS: this is a Gmail account, so it may be a case of "Gmail does not
support imap extension X"
PPS: I just checked: I'm subscribed to all folders, the faulty folder
is selected for offline use, and I do have the hidden pref
mail.server.default.check_all_folders_for_new set to true!