TB24 inclusion for new minor feature (thread-sorting pref)

The Wanderer wanderer at fastmail.fm
Mon Aug 12 14:27:47 UTC 2013

On 08/12/2013 03:33 AM, Axel Grude wrote:

> Failing that, do you think writing an addon for this might be
> feasible?

As I mentioned on the bug when first posting the patch, this is handled
in C++ code, with no real opening for JS to change the outcome. So,
no, not that I can tell.

If it's possible at all, I think you'd essentially have to manage to
hook in after Thunderbird does its built-in thread sorting (on folder
open, on sort order change, and on new messages arriving), then redo all
of the sorting from scratch if it doesn't match what you want; I'm not
at all sure that hooking in that way is possible in the current design,
and it seems likely that it would be far less efficient (perhaps
prohibitively so) even if it is. I wouldn't have an idea of how to begin
doing so, in any case.

It would probably be possible to modify the core so that this could be
done in an add-on, but I think doing that would probably require
rewriting the relevant core code in JavaScript, which would be a sizable
and invasive undertaking (and probably far beyond me, at least in a
reasonable timeframe).

Given the attitude I've seen on the Firefox side towards the idea of
implementing features requested by even much larger small fractions of
the userbase in the core application rather than as add-ons, if I'd seen
a way to reasonably do this as an add-on I don't think I'd have bothered
making the attempt at getting it done in core. (I'd still have wanted to
do it in the core, but the odds of getting such an implementation
accepted would have seemed low enough to discourage me from even
trying.)

--
    The Wanderer

side of it.

Every time you let somebody set a limit they start moving it.
   - LiveJournal user antonia_tiger