Place to make a separate Thunderbird Summit

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Thu Apr 4 15:23:48 UTC 2013

On 4/4/2013 6:58 AM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> If you guys would cover your own travel expenses (esp. flight), I
> would personally cover the room costs.
My understanding is that Thunderbird earns a modest income of the order
of many tens of thousand of dollars per year, and that income is
available only for "engagement" activities. A summit is a good
opportunity for that, so I don't believe that it should be necessary for
key individuals to pay their own way.

I've asked in the past about information on the incomes earned by
Thunderbird that are available for engagement activities, but have not
received any information on that (probably more from neglect than any
unwillingness to share the information). I think that we need to
understand the available funds before we can make any decision about the
accommodations and terms of a summit.

That being said, at the moment I am certainly willing to devote several
days to attending such a summit. I am not yet willing to say that I will
pay for my travel, though there might be circumstances where I am
willing to do that. I am also willing to be involved in the planning of
such a summit.

:rkent