About :skinning the title bar - Re: Fwd: Mozilla Add-ons: Walnut for Thunderbird 2.0.8 Fully Reviewed

Axel axel.grude at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 27 20:04:07 UTC 2012

> Axel / Alfred,
>
> Hey - I just wanted to know if you've tried toggling the "mail.tabs.drawInTitlebar"
> pref.
>
> This is a preference we put in that overrides the drawing-in-titlebar behaviour.
Hi Mike / Alfred / Richard

I just tested it, and the result is as always "almost" perfect:

Using the Windowblinds theme "Ares" with Alfred Kayser's "nautipolis" theme:

As you can see, the windows caption bar is back to its former (XP engine styled)
glory. it is interesting to note that Windows XP was originally planned to support
more styles and that the DLL that provides Luna was "hacked" by Stardock to re-enable
capabilities that were already inherent theming features.

IN the screenshot above, the (now superfluous) min / restore / maximize / close
widgets are painted over the tab managements ones. It is an interesting edge case, is
there another hidden setting that hides them?

It looks to me like this might make a nice "disable title bar skinning" checkbox
somewhere in advanced options. But putting the toggle for this into a extension would
be a perfectly valid solution as well.

Some more examples - please also note that the Thunderbird Icon in the title bar is
back (for a windows XP user, this represents the system menu) which is /a good thing/ :

Windowblinds skin "ares" and Tb default skin:

Windowblinds skin "gaiety" + Tb default theme

Windowblinds skin "Noire" + default theme

WB skin "Rogue Proton"

this last screenshots hopefully demonstrates that it is not always easy and safe to
bank on certain system colors or dimensions, by simply assuming they are correct for
the current operating system. :-)

regards & thanks
   Axel