About :skinning the title bar - Re: Fwd: Mozilla Add-ons: Walnut for Thunderbird 2.0.8 Fully Reviewed

Axel axel.grude at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 27 08:41:58 UTC 2012

> One way to 'solve' this is to not do the titlebar/menubar overlap in non-standard
> window themes (such as windowblonds).
I like the new term you coined; Windows for blondes :)

Do you this is something I could implementing through an extension (or userChrome.css
rules)? That would be a sufficient workaround for Windowblinds users.
> There is a css media-query thing that makes this possible.
After skimming over the mdn article, do you mean this one:

    -moz-windows-theme

indicates which Windows theme is currently being used. Only available on Windows.
Possible values are:

  * |aero|
  * |luna-blue|
  * |luna-olive|
  * |luna-silver|
  * |royale|
  * |generic|
  * |zune|

and

    -moz-windows-default-theme

so basically it could be dependent on -moz-windows-default-theme being 0? I would be
interested to write some test code for this at the weekend and if you like to help me,
send you a test version to see how it behaves in Windows 7

thanks
   Axel

> [...]
>> windows (especially the title bar).
>>
>> Your solution of underpinning the menu with a bright area works lovely for all
>> stock color flavors of XP Luna (blue, silver and olive) so you have solved that one
>> problem, with your latest update of :
>>
>>> Could you try if this works?
>>> If it works ok, I can then also update the Little/MicroBird themes in the same way.
>> Yes, this is perfect on Windows XP (TB17):
>>
>> It also still looks /spiffing gorgeous /on my Windowblinds with Thunderbird /*16
>> */(remember that Windowblinds painst over the title-bar):
>>
>> Of course, with */Thunderbird 17/*, I will eventually have the following problem on
>> my production windows system:
>>
>> Stock theme:
>>
>> Nautipolis 2.0.8:
>>
>> Here, with Menu bar visible, the menu is completely obscured by the title bar ( I
>> know this can be viewed as a bug by Windowblinds, but on the other hand it makes my
>> Windows experience so much more cohesive)
>>
>> Interestingly, when I task switch away and then back to THunderbird I am getting
>> this effect (which is quite a good compromise as it leaves the skinning of the
>> caption bar background intact, but replaces the windows max / minimize / restore
>> widgets):
>>
>> ... which is probably closer to the effect that you would have on Windows XP with
>> Luna (Vanilla). The bige question is, is there anything that we can do (maybe with
>> a CSS rule?) to "force the caption bar widgets into the foreground"? Or failing
>> this, is there something I can do  (maybe by adding a box overlay) to push the menu
>> down to its original position again so that Thunderbird behaves more in line with
>> all my other XP applications? This would be an interesting question...
>>
>> Ideally I would like to come up with an additional extension that could
>>
>>   * hide the minimize / maximize / close widgets for Firefox / Thunderbird, so the
>>     user can choose to keep the ones painted by the OS / skinning engine
>>   * either  - move down the menu so it is in its original position
>>     or - force the menu items "into the foreground" (which is probably the more
>>     difficult solution as some of the Z-Order from skinning engines might be out of
>>     our control)
>>
>> One thing I would like the Thunderbird crew to  think about is that "painting into
>> the titlebar" is not necessarily something we should take for granted, at least in
>> the standard paradigm, any painting should be done in the client area. So IMHO
>> skinning the whole application should ideally be configurable / optional from
>> within the xul applications, ideally with a global about:config switch.
>>
>> thanks
>>   Axel

>> <schnipp>
>>
>> --
>> *Axel Grude* [T]
>> Software Developer
>> Thunderbird Add-ons Developer (QuickFolders, quickFilters, QuickPasswords, Zombie

Hello Alfred,

--
*Axel Grude* [T]
Software Developer