Philosophy of minimal disturbance of existing users

Mark Banner mbanner at mozilla.com
Wed Sep 19 08:36:46 UTC 2012

On 15/09/2012 15:43, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> On 09/15/2012 02:00 AM, JoeS wrote:
>> Migration assistant was very necessary for TB3.1 due to the number of
>> changes. But maybe we could use a simpler approach when there
>> are fewer.
>> How about something like this:
>> When a new feature is available, offer the feature at startup, but
>> don't finalize the pref until shutdown. This does require a hidden
>> pref for the
>> feature, and all the added code complexities that  implies. Maybe
>> that could be a temp pref for the first few weeks of a new feature.
> Or we could also inform about the new feature/change after a upgrade
> (especially a silent one). Possibly some kind of inline ui element
> saying "Hi! Did you notice the new menu? We gave you more space and
> it's easy to change back if you want to." or something along those lines.
We already try to do that with the What's New page. There's probably
improvements to be made (as always!), and I half wonder about using
tooltips or other pop-ups, but I'd also be concerned about being too
intrusive on the user following an upgrade (when they just want to get
on and do things).

Mark.