Role of addons

Mark Banner mbanner at mozilla.com
Tue Sep 18 13:05:43 UTC 2012

Hi Gary,

On 14/09/2012 18:44, Gary A. Mort wrote:
> As an example, you send it is an cool little feature - but the way it
> was written, if someone else wants to store files on a different
> service they need to write a completely new add on. If instead a
> generalized file handling API had been placed in the core code, while
> the you send it specific code was in the official add on directory -
> that would likely have sparked a dozen more add ons providing similar
> functionality - which leads to growth and best practices being created
> - instead of odd little features only a few people use.
YouSendIt (and now Ubuntu One and soon box.com) are providers that are
shipped with Thunderbird by default. There is a generalized file
handling API
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Thunderbird/Filelink_Providers> already
existing that those providers use. We also have the Dropbox add-on
<https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/dropbox-for-filelink/>
that gives an example of a different provider but that is actually using
that API in an add-on.

Generally with features like this, we have typically tried to allow
add-ons the possibility to hook in, or for external data to be added
(such as in the case of the ISP database).

Mark.