Fwd: TB Summary of release discussion

Mark Banner mbanner at mozilla.com
Tue Sep 18 08:11:23 UTC 2012

On 15/09/2012 06:14, Kent James wrote:

> On 9/14/2012 9:30 PM, Unicorn.Consulting wrote:
>> On 15/09/2012 1:42 PM, Kent James wrote:
>>> I have an alternate proposal for the release planning.
>>>
>>> So my proposal is that we do "intermediate releases" to the main
>>> release channel starting at either TB 22 or TB 23. These would be
>>> releases from the main central/aurora/beta/release repositories so
>>> would not need additional repos with all of the complications of that.
Assuming these are based on the equivalent Gecko versions, then we would
also need to consider back-porting of the core security fixes to those
releases for each of the .0.1 releases.

>> I think that an ESR release should not become an ESR release at the
>> same time the general release occurs. ESR is really aimed at Business
>> and they are in no hurry for new releases, so we do what business has
>> been doing for almost as long as they have had computers, wait for
>> the .1 release.  That is there will be a 17.1 ESR and a 24.1 ESR or
>> whatever no time frame as such, but released reasonably soon after
>> the main release with fixes as required, including a roleup of the
>> now almost mandatory 0.1 and 0.2. Releases.  The general user base
>> can come along for the ride to point one, but point one is the ESR
>> release.
ESR has been designed with new features at the time of the ESR being
considered. There is an overlap of 2 releases on the ESR channel to
allow organisations time to switch over and for any critical issues to
be resolved. The ESR FAQ
<http://www.mozilla.org/thunderbird/organizations/faq/> has a diagram
showing this overlap. Hence, this allows for the .0.1 and .0.2 releases.

> So to interpret what I think you are saying in terms of repos and
> channels, we proceed with 17.0 as planned - but it is not the ESR
> release. We freeze mozilla-central in comm-aurora, release, and beta
> so that eventually release, beta, and aurora are all on gecko17. New
> work is landed in comm-central (with current gecko), and selected
> patches are landed in aurora (with a+) as needed in 17.1 (which will
> also be ESR). After 17.1 releases, we restart the
> central->aurora->beta migrations as now (but no new releases until
> 24.0 then 24.1 ESR)
I think my other message to this thread covers this slightly
differently. What I think I could do with though, is a clear statement
of the problem you're trying to solve here, as this doesn't just sound
like just allowing an intermediate release of features. Earlier in the
thread you mentioned there's issues fixing bugs due to L10n. Are these
flagged as tracking-thunderbird17? Can you also provide some examples?

Thanks
Mark.