Philosophy of minimal disturbance of existing users

Magnus Melin mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi
Tue Sep 18 07:31:12 UTC 2012

On 17.9.2012 13:52, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2012-09-17 3:49 AM, Magnus Melin <mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi> wrote:
>> On 15.9.2012 13:01, Tanstaafl wrote:
>>> But, I also agree completely with enabling things like this by
>>> default for *new* installs...
>
>> I tend to disagree. Defaults are powerful and should be used wisely.
>> If a feature isn't good enough for existing users, it's not good
>> enough for new ones either.
>
> Did you miss the context of my reply?
>
> Changing something for an existing user that will have a large impact on their
> user experience does not mean that the new feature 'isn't good enough' for
> them, it simply means that an update shouldn't just change it without any
> regard to the impact that doing so will have on the existing users user
> experience.

I'm completely aware users don't generally like to learn new procedures to do
things. That doesn't mean they shouldn't ever do so, for their own good. The
goal of course is that it would be very intuitive and a positive overall
experience.

Whatever the defaults are they still need to be good for the vast majority of
users - old and new. If you only change things for new users as the product
evolves you can't get the majority onto the improved defaults so they would
never find out the true capabilities of their software.

  -Magnus