Philosophy of minimal disturbance of existing users

Mike Conley mconley at mozilla.com
Mon Sep 17 14:47:42 UTC 2012

Gerv:

>> Is the above method recommended by the Thunderbird team? Will I get
>> Earlybird updates as often as I get them on a Mozilla channel?

Getting Thunderbird via apt is the best way to ensure OS integration,
since it runs all of their custom scripts, and embeds their custom styling.

So yes, if you want nice integration with Ubuntu, downloading it from
Ubuntu's package repository is recommended.

The Ubuntu team responsible for maintaining the Mozilla packages (Chris
Coulson and Micah Gersten, among others) are quite responsive in picking
up our updates, usually within a day or so.

-Mike