Philosophy of minimal disturbance of existing users

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Mon Sep 17 10:52:57 UTC 2012

On 2012-09-17 3:49 AM, Magnus Melin <mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi> wrote:
> On 15.9.2012 13:01, Tanstaafl wrote:
>> But, I also agree completely with enabling things like this by
>> default for *new* installs...

> I tend to disagree. Defaults are powerful and should be used wisely.
> If a feature isn't good enough for existing users, it's not good
> enough for new ones either.

Did you miss the context of my reply?

Changing something for an existing user that will have a large impact on
their user experience does not mean that the new feature 'isn't good
enough' for them, it simply means that an update shouldn't just change
it without any regard to the impact that doing so will have on the
existing users user experience.

For new users, there is no pre-existing configuration, so there is no
real potential for major disruption of an existing users experience.

Yes, someone who is an experienced Thunderbird user will definitely
notice the different UI if they perform a brand new install without
migrating an existing profile, but it wouldn't be disruptive in the
sense of 'breaking' things (in their mind).