Philosophy of minimal disturbance of existing users

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Mon Sep 17 10:02:23 UTC 2012

On 2012-09-15 7:23 PM, Unicorn.Consulting wrote:
> Personally I am sick of hearing about how one line is going to give more
> space, particularly in planning where I have about 12 lines of header
> making reading space in the preview window almost impossible. I am
> sorry, but I would see making the mail header collapsible as a far more
> useful activity.

Well, it is collapsible - if you install the CompactHeader addon...

But this is a perfect example of some functionality that should have
*never* been removed from the core code (another example being removing
the ability to 'Extra Folder Columns' to the folder pane, that the
'Extra Folder Columns' Addon gave us back thankfully). I can see no good
reason to remove either of these features from the core code.

But, if you have the extension installed and already have your UI
optimized to maximize usable area, a single line can make definitely
make a difference, especially on a netbook where screen real estate is
most valuable.