Philosophy of minimal disturbance of existing users

Mike Conley mconley at mozilla.com
Mon Sep 17 13:39:31 UTC 2012

Gerv:

On Ubuntu, things behave a little differently, menu-wise.

When installing Thunderbird from Ubuntu's package repository, several
add-ons are also installed to make Thunderbird integrate more deeply
with Unity. One of those add-ons is called "Global Menu Bar integration".

That add-on hides the Thunderbird menubar, and clones it into Unity's
"global" menubar.

Note again that you'll only have this add-on installed by default if you
downloaded Thunderbird from Ubuntu's package repository.

When that add-on is enabled, the key-binding to reveal the menu is F10
(which opens the File menu, as is typical with other applications in
Ubuntu).

-Mike