Philosophy of minimal disturbance of existing users

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Mon Sep 17 09:00:54 UTC 2012

On 14/09/12 20:13, Axel wrote:
>> That forces a dramatic change in the way that I am used to working.
> This is a good example where I do not understand that there is a proper
> planning for user interface changes. While this probably doesn't affect
> the majority of developers (who use Mac or Linux with Unity, so they
> always display a menu anyway)

Actually, my Earlybird on Ubuntu 12.04 doesn't display the menu in what
is now the standard Ubuntu place. the only way I can get a menu is
clicking a small Android-like three-line icon on the far right of the
toolbar. Also, it used to be that when menu bars were hidden, pressing
Alt brought them up - but this isn't working.

Are either of these behaviours a bug?

I can (thanks to this thread) turn the menu bar back on in prefs, but
it's still in-window, not in the Ubuntu place at the top of the screen.

Gerv