Role of addons

Axel axel.grude at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 16 12:20:37 UTC 2012

*To: *"Patrick Cloke"<clokep at gmail.com>
*From: *"Philipp Kewisch"<mozilla at kewis.ch>
*CC: *"tb-planning at mozilla.org, Kent James" tb-planning at mozilla.org, kent at caspia.com
*Sent: *Saturday, 15/09/12 17:51:10 17:51 GMT Daylight Time {GMT DT} +0100 [Week 38]
*Subject:*Re: Role of addons

> On Sep 14, 2012, at 20:23, Patrick Cloke <clokep at gmail.com
> <mailto:clokep at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Kent James <kent at caspia.com
>> <mailto:kent at caspia.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Good candidates for that in the long run would be chat, calendaring, RSS feeds,
>>     bayesian junk processing, advanced security models, and advanced search and
>>     filter functionality.
>>
>> Is this list actually based on anything?  I use most of these on a daily basis, as
>> do most people I know of who use Thunderbird.  How do you decide what stays in and
>> what goes?  Can things be prompted/demoted?  There's political as well as technical
>> questions in there, mind you.  It would be great to have hard data about what
>> features are used and what ones aren't used.
>
> Maybe this is where one of my visions with calendar would fit in: only enable
> features if there are accounts for it. A vanilla Thunderbird would have a very plain
> UI that shows ways to add accouts. No mail specific features like folder panes.
Phillip,

I really like that approach. This is similar to the way that the chat piece was
introduced, in that you had to set up an account in order to get the feature. Before
that you would have a simple UI without any distractions from potentially unused / not
personally useful features. What is important that the integration point has to be
easily accessible and understandable for the non-technical user. I do like the
"wizard-style" interfaces for these setup tasks as they can guide both a technical and
a non-technical user to achieve setting up a complex piece of functionality.

Axel

--
*Axel Grude* [T]
Software Developer