TB 17.0a2 -- UI consistency

Blake Winton bwinton at mozilla.com
Sun Sep 16 02:33:38 UTC 2012

On 15-09-12 19:31 , gneandr at web.de wrote:
> Starting with Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:17.0) Gecko/17.0
> Thunderbird/17.0a2 (en-US)
> I recognized some UI changes. Don't want to start another discussion
> about the philosophy of that change, but I expected with this
> "massive" UI change we get a "cleaned" menu structure. It's about
> getting the exactly same menu at different places .. if it's necessary
> to offer a functionality at different places.
>
> Fe. look at the different occurrences of the "Print" menu:
> 1. on the 3pane message list -- you have "Print Preview" and "Print .."
> 2. on the message in a tab -- you have "Print Preview" and "Print .."
> 3. on the message in a tab with the pull down menu -- you have [Other
> Actions] --> "Print .."
> ad 3. NO Print Preview
>
> Is there an intension to overhaul those inconsistencies with the next
> major release? So should we have a look at it with the upcoming QA
> section?
I would certainly like to see an overhauled menu for the next major
release, but whether or not it gets done depends entirely on the
community.  Normally the following phrase is said in a sarcastic tone,
but in this case I mean it genuinely: "Patches welcome!"  :)

The eventual goal is to get to something like this
<https://people.mozilla.com/%7Ebwinton/australis/customization/mac/> but
optimized for Thunderbird.  (Or perhaps we should go for a list view
<https://people.mozilla.com/%7Ebwinton/australis/customization/mac/index.html?%7B%22list%22:true%7D>
of the menu instead.)

Thanks,
Blake.

--
Blake Winton   Thunderbird User Experience Lead
bwinton at mozilla.com