Philosophy of minimal disturbance of existing users

Unicorn.Consulting unicorn.consulting at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 23:23:49 UTC 2012

On 16/09/2012 12:10 AM, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> On 09/14/2012 07:49 PM, Kent James wrote:
>> As another user interface issue, I just tried some new Daily runs,
>> and immediately notice that my menus are gone.
> This is part of the larger Australis design based on Steven Horlanders
> design and Richard Marti did an amazing job here.
> http://breakingtheegg.tumblr.com/post/18904507727/and-windows-7-the-menu-button-is-the-three
>

>> That forces a dramatic change in the way that I am used to working.
>> While I understand the reasons behind it, and probably agree with
>> them, for the typical user who had gotten used to doing things a
>> certain way, this is just an annoyance. Today may not be the day that
>> I really wanted to stop what I was doing, and figure out how to turn
>> the menus back on. The reaction of most existing users, IMHO, is
>> going to be a mild round of cussing at the arrogance of developers
>> who are constantly pushing change on users who really don't want it.
>> (Now I've been the guy getting cussed at in the past, and there are
>> times that change is needed, I understand that).
>>
> I can see your point of view, but at the same time I wonder if we
> might have a obligation towards our current user base to allow them to
> get more space to read their e-mails.
Personally I am sick of hearing about how one line is going to give more
space, particularly in planning where I have about 12 lines of header
making reading space in the preview window almost impossible.  I am
sorry, but I would see making the mail header collapsible as a far more
useful activity.

Matt