Fwd: TB Summary of release discussion

Unicorn.Consulting unicorn.consulting at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 23:20:11 UTC 2012

On 15/09/2012 2:44 PM, Kent James wrote:

> On 9/14/2012 9:30 PM, Unicorn.Consulting wrote:
>> On 15/09/2012 1:42 PM, Kent James wrote:
>>> I have an alternate proposal for the release planning.
>>>
>>> So my proposal is that we do "intermediate releases" to the main
>>> release channel starting at either TB 22 or TB 23. These would be
>>> releases from the main central/aurora/beta/release repositories so
>>> would not need additional repos with all of the complications of that.
>>>
>> I think that an ESR release should not become an ESR release at the
>> same time the general release occurs. ESR is really aimed at Business
>> and they are in no hurry for new releases, so we do what business has
>> been doing for almost as long as they have had computers, wait for
>> the .1 release.  That is there will be a 17.1 ESR and a 24.1 ESR or
>> whatever no time frame as such, but released reasonably soon after
>> the main release with fixes as required, including a roleup of the
>> now almost mandatory 0.1 and 0.2. Releases.  The general user base
>> can come along for the ride to point one, but point one is the ESR
>> release.
>>
>> Matt
>
> OK I like that - and it could be done for the 17 series as well.
>
> So to interpret what I think you are saying in terms of repos and
> channels, we proceed with 17.0 as planned - but it is not the ESR
> release. We freeze mozilla-central in comm-aurora, release, and beta
> so that eventually release, beta, and aurora are all on gecko17. New
> work is landed in comm-central (with current gecko), and selected
> patches are landed in aurora (with a+) as needed in 17.1 (which will
> also be ESR). After 17.1 releases, we restart the
> central->aurora->beta migrations as now (but no new releases until
> 24.0 then 24.1 ESR)
>
> So we do the allowed 1 intermediate release, but we do it immediately
> so that hopefully central and aurora are close enough together that
> the backport is easy.
>
> If that is your proposal, I like it!

Your interpretation is it  I never really got the channels but it sounds
exactly what I was trying to say.  The only one that roles along
undaunted is nightly and the point 1 release never contains new
features, only bug fixes (although they are one and the same sometimes)
I think also that it lives up to the intent better. ESR is really aimed
at those wanting tried and tested products, to deliver on that
expectation we should not be offering new features to them at the time
of release.