Philosophy of minimal disturbance of existing users

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Sat Sep 15 10:01:58 UTC 2012

On 2012-09-14 1:49 PM, Kent James <kent at caspia.com> wrote:
> Why not instead adopt a philosophy of minimal disturbance of existing
> users? Couldn't we instead enable the menubar by default for existing
> users, and only disable it by default for new users?
>
> And follow that through when possible for all user interface changes
> that have a major impact on existing users?

+10 from me on this one...

The best example of a major change that was *extremely* disturbing to
myself and many people I know was when GLODA was enabled by default.
That one was the closest I've ever come to dumping Thunderbird (for both
myself and our 50+ userbase).

Deleting any/all user preferences with respect to carefully
selected/crafted online/offline modes for hundreds of folders for 15+
IMAP accounts (many of which have 10's or dozens of GBs of email) and
forcing everything to full online mode was... well, lets just say there
was lots of cussing and gnashing of teeth.

At a bare minimum, there could be a little update notification utility
that would demonstrate the change for the user in a little guided video
tour, but the default, should the user choose to just close it out
should always be to leave things alone and not change anything.

But, I also agree completely with enabling things like this by default
for *new* installs...