Role of addons

Philipp Kewisch mozilla at kewis.ch
Sat Sep 15 16:51:10 UTC 2012

On Sep 14, 2012, at 20:23, Patrick Cloke <clokep at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Kent James <kent at caspia.com> wrote:
>
> Good candidates for that in the long run would be chat, calendaring, RSS feeds, bayesian junk processing, advanced security models, and advanced search and filter functionality.
> Is this list actually based on anything?  I use most of these on a daily basis, as do most people I know of who use Thunderbird.  How do you decide what stays in and what goes?  Can things be prompted/demoted?  There's political as well as technical questions in there, mind you.  It would be great to have hard data about what features are used and what ones aren't used.

Maybe this is where one of my visions with calendar would fit in: only enable features if there are accounts for it. A vanilla Thunderbird would have a very plain UI that shows ways to add accouts. No mail specific features like folder panes. When you add a mail account, you get the Thunderbird you've previously known, if you only add a chat account you might get a minimized UI that only shows the contact list and message windows.

There would be integration points that offer creating more accounts, like if you send an email you have a button to add an event, clicking it will prompt you to create a calendar account that will add in all the calendaring features, like the Today Pane.