Philosophy of minimal disturbance of existing users

Andreas Nilsson nisses.mail at home.se
Sat Sep 15 14:40:23 UTC 2012

On 09/14/2012 07:49 PM, Kent James wrote:
> As another user interface issue, I just tried some new Daily runs, and
> immediately notice that my menus are gone.
This is part of the larger Australis design based on Steven Horlanders
design and Richard Marti did an amazing job here.
http://breakingtheegg.tumblr.com/post/18904507727/and-windows-7-the-menu-button-is-the-three

> That forces a dramatic change in the way that I am used to working.
> While I understand the reasons behind it, and probably agree with
> them, for the typical user who had gotten used to doing things a
> certain way, this is just an annoyance. Today may not be the day that
> I really wanted to stop what I was doing, and figure out how to turn
> the menus back on. The reaction of most existing users, IMHO, is going
> to be a mild round of cussing at the arrogance of developers who are
> constantly pushing change on users who really don't want it. (Now I've
> been the guy getting cussed at in the past, and there are times that
> change is needed, I understand that).

I can see your point of view, but at the same time I wonder if we might
have a obligation towards our current user base to allow them to get
more space to read their e-mails. No functionality have changed or
regressed, things have simply moved around a bit, and it's easy to get
the menu back in Menu > Preferences > Menu Bar.
Also having very different UI:s depending on what version you have
started on could make support harder.
- Andreas