Fwd: TB Summary of release discussion

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Sat Sep 15 04:12:55 UTC 2012

I have an alternate proposal for the release planning.

One issue that we are facing now, approaching ESR for TB 17, is that we
are discovering issues too late for any l10n work to be done. We are
going to face that issue much worse in the ESR TB-24 time frame.

So my proposal is that we do "intermediate releases" to the main release
channel starting at either TB 22 or TB 23. These would be releases from
the main central/aurora/beta/release repositories so would not need
additional repos with all of the complications of that.

Two big advantages:

1) We get one or two cycles of testing with the release channel before
we lock down a ESR release.

2) We get one or two cycles of l10n that we could use to fix any issues
that are discovered.

:rkent