Role of addons

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Fri Sep 14 17:38:55 UTC 2012

On 9/14/2012 10:20 AM, Blake Winton wrote:
> On 14-09-12 13:06 , Kent James wrote:
>> In the long run I would like to see us do this more explicitly by
>> adding a category of addon that is maintained along with the core
>> product, and shipped with the core product. So these addons would
>> have the same commitment to support as any core feature, but are
>> included as addons to reduce the overall complexity of the product.
>> Good candidates for that in the long run would be chat, calendaring,
>> RSS feeds, bayesian junk processing, advanced security models, and
>>

>> Comments?
> Instead of addons, what about having a section of the preferences
> dedicated to less-used-features, which can be turned on and off as the
> user chooses?

It would be worth some experiments here. My fear is that you would just
end up adding parallel functionality to what can already be done with
the infrastructure for a restartless addon. I would hate to see code
everywhere that has checks for a preference being enabled before certain
menu items are displayed. I would rather see such items added by
something that works more like a restartless addon.

:rkent