Thunderbird new governance - We're not done yet

Jb Piacentino jb at mozilla.com
Thu Sep 13 15:35:59 UTC 2012

Hi,

I spent half of last week and week-end in Warsaw, working with the
Thunderbird team and fellow contributors. This has been four intense
days of discussions, ideas exploration and planning. Pretty exhausting
but inspiring and replenishing with positive energy. A lot of what has
been discussed was based on the conversations that have happened before
last week end, either in this mailing list, through email threads or
shared etherpads. I want to thank all of you who have shown interest in
defining the future of Thunderbird, regardless of whether you could make
it to Warsaw or not (see the Filelink below for the Warsaw discussion
support material).

A lot has been added to this material over these 4 days and I hope we
have captured most of it in various documents (see below). I definitely
think we radically have  moved the cursor forward, both by helping
understanding what composes Thunderbird today and how it is built, as
well as identifying how as a global community, we are going to continue
to support the project in the future. But we're not quite there yet.
More specifically, we need to answer the remaining questions, wherever
possible, and share our knowledge and resolutions in a single document
that will represent the up-to-date 'Governance and Release model for
Thunderbird' moving forward.

I would like to suggest we keep the structure of the current proposal
<https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/Proposal:_New_Release_and_Governance_Model>
and augment it with both their corresponding Etherpad as well as the
content of these 4 days discussions
<https://etherpad.mozilla.org/notes06092012-thunderbird>. We should aim
at release a first version of the model by then end of September (Sept
28th).
In order to achieve that, I think we need some 'reporters' to volunteer
and drive conversations on the following subjects to conclusion
(wherever possible). I am going to assume the people who have agreed to
summarize Warsaw's conversations could possibly volunteer for this last
round of community-wide conversation, as stated below (if you are one of
them and don't feel comfortable with the assignment, please feel
absolutely free to push back: I hope someone will stand up and keep the
ball rolling).
If any of you have a different or better idea on what the next steps
should be, please chime in !

Let's continue to drive the new governance through the last miles so we
can write together the new chapter of Thunderbird's life.

Jb

_Discussion tracks.
_/Reporters, please start a new thread on tb-planning for your own area,
sharing the up-to-date etherpads and documents.//For sake of
completeness, I also add links to already published summaries
/
- Governance.
     - Reporter: Standard8

- Release model: