Thunderbird Marketplace?

Paul Morris paul at paulwmorris.com
Tue Sep 4 04:57:59 UTC 2012

Ben Bucksch wrote:
> But OTOH, I wouldn't want to use anything that isn't open-source. How
> can we solve that clash? How can we make people pay for open-source
> stuff, organization and incentive-wise? Ideas?
An interesting approach to this is called Fairware[1], and it seems to
be working for the guy who came up with it and implemented it.  It's
based on transparency:

<quote>*
How does Fairware work?* All hours developers invest in projects are
public, as well as their hourly rate expectations. All contributions
from fair users are also instantly made public (anonymously). When
contributions are made, they are allocated to unpaid development hours
(see the<http://open.hardcoded.net/faq/> F.A.Q. for details). Everyone
can thus easily know how many hours have yet to be compensated. Also,
users are made aware that the software is Fairware with a dialog that
pops up for users who haven't contributed yet, reminding them of
expectations from developers. With enough fair users, such a system
allows open source developers working on software for a wide audience to
do so full time. I don't know about you, but I find that *awesome*.
</quote>

[1] http://open.hardcoded.net/about/
http://open.hardcoded.net/
http://www.hardcoded.net/articles/fairware-it-kinda-works

I know that I feel much more motivated to donate given this kind of
transparency.

On AMO you can make statistics for your add-on public (download counts,
active user numbers, etc.), but for some reason there is not an option
for developers to make contribution data public (as in the Fairware
model).  Why not make that an option?  It would be a straightforward
step that might really increase people's motivation to donate,
especially in cases where little to none has been contributed as yet.

It also sounds promising that the monetization code from the new web app
marketplace could be fairly easily back-ported to AMO.

-Paul