list of TB contributors and governance

Axel axel.grude at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 24 09:05:55 UTC 2012

*To: *"Axel"<axel.grude at googlemail.com>
*From: *"Gervase Markham"<gerv at mozilla.org>
*CC: *"tb-planning" tb-planning at mozilla.org
*Sent: *Wednesday, 24/10/12 09:10:27 09:10 GMT Daylight Time {GMT DT} +0100 [Week 43]
*Subject:*Re: list of TB contributors and governance
> On 23/10/12 18:25, Axel wrote:
>>> Note that we traditionally didn't even have an actual module structure
>>> for non-code stuff like marketing, as those might be better organized
>>> in a different way, e.g. by the bodies caring about shipping products.
> >
>> that is exactly what Kent and me were trying to say; the module system
>> does not necessarily cover things like Marketing, overall product
>> design, monetization and the roadmap for the future.
>
> OK. So, while the "Module" name might start to be a bit inaccurate, the Mozilla
> module owner system is basically a way of saying who is responsible for stuff. There
> already exist a number of non-code 'modules':
>
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Modules/Activities
>
> There's no reason why there shouldn't be many more. If we want to put peole in
> charge of marketing or design, it doesn't require an entirely new governance system
> to achieve that.
I see - so module would catch all even the non-development stuff. One thing I see is
that this on an overall level  (all Mozilla products), whereas I believe we need (some
of) such (sub)modules under the Thunderbird heading. Let's review the list we have got
currently:

  * Thunderbird
  * Build Config
  * 3-pane and standalone message views
  * Address Book
  * Compose
  * Instant Messaging
  * Preferences and Account Settings
  * Testing Infrastructure
  * Theme

As I understand this, the owner is understood as "benevolent dictator" and the peers
are the "team", would that roughly describe the current organization? I would just
like to understand how the decisions are made and enforced.

As I see it, *we will also need to discuss at least creation of* *the following modules*:

  * Product Design + User Acceptance
  * Marketing
  * Monetization

Kent, would adding modules like this cover what you think is required?

thanks
   Axel

--
*Axel Grude* [T]