list of TB contributors and governance

Axel axel.grude at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 23 17:25:28 UTC 2012

*To: *"tb-planning"<tb-planning at mozilla.org>
*From: *"Robert Kaiser"<KaiRo at KaiRo.at>
*Sent: *Tuesday, 23/10/12 12:45:21 12:45 GMT Daylight Time {GMT DT} +0100 [Week 43]
*Subject:*Re: list of TB contributors and governance
> Kent James schrieb:
>> That list is Brendan Eich, Stuart Parmenter, Dan Mosedale, Robert
>> Kaiser, Mike Connor, David Barron, Frank Hecker, and Mitchell Baker. I
>> just don't think that is the best list of people to, for example, decide
>> that a Thunderbird Marketing module is needed, fill that role, and
>> ensure that the module owner is fulfilling their responsibilities.
>
> We in this group are not really responsible for submodules, e.g. those under
> Thunderbird. This group is responsible for organizing the structure of top-level
> modules. Consider them the peers of the module to manage top-level modules. You need
> some way to grant new top-level modules, possibly even retire some, have "unowned"
> top-level modules be transferred to active owners again, and resolve potential
> fights over a top-level module - and that's this module ownership group. And we
> mostly only act out of proposals from current or to-be module owners in this respect.
> Owners and peers of the top-level modules are responsible for their submodules. I'd
> expect "Thunderbird Marketing" to probably be a submodule of Thunderbird, so it's
> the responsibility of the Thunderbird owner and peers to decide if a module is
> needed for that.

> Note that we traditionally didn't even have an actual module structure for non-code
> stuff like marketing, as those might be better organized in a different way, e.g. by
> the bodies caring about shipping products.
that is exactly what Kent and me were trying to say; the module system does not
necessarily cover things like Marketing, overall product design, monetization and the
roadmap for the future.

There aren't any "modules" for these; but these are precisely the tasks that I feel JB
was describing when he showed the slide from "Das Boot" (*Community to the bridge*)

> That said, we have added some non-code modules in the last year or two, but we're
> still not completely convinced that this would be the right thing to do for
> everything. I don't think we have a Firefox Marketing module, for example, this just
> falls to the appropriate team inside the paid staff right now, AFAIK.
> We have the marketing responsibility in some submodule in SeaMonkey, and the
> SeaMonkey project never asked the module ownership group for how to form submodules
> like that - and doesn't have to.
I believe Thunderbird needs this. And an overall decision process on product design -
who is for, where is it going? And I don't think that these have to be necessarily
filled by programmers.

Axel

--
*Axel Grude* [T]