list of TB contributors and governance

Robert Kaiser KaiRo at KaiRo.at
Tue Oct 23 11:45:21 UTC 2012

Kent James schrieb:
> That list is Brendan Eich, Stuart Parmenter, Dan Mosedale, Robert
> Kaiser, Mike Connor, David Barron, Frank Hecker, and Mitchell Baker. I
> just don't think that is the best list of people to, for example, decide
> that a Thunderbird Marketing module is needed, fill that role, and
> ensure that the module owner is fulfilling their responsibilities.

We in this group are not really responsible for submodules, e.g. those
under Thunderbird. This group is responsible for organizing the
structure of top-level modules. Consider them the peers of the module to
manage top-level modules. You need some way to grant new top-level
modules, possibly even retire some, have "unowned" top-level modules be
transferred to active owners again, and resolve potential fights over a
top-level module - and that's this module ownership group. And we mostly
only act out of proposals from current or to-be module owners in this
respect.
Owners and peers of the top-level modules are responsible for their
submodules. I'd expect "Thunderbird Marketing" to probably be a
submodule of Thunderbird, so it's the responsibility of the Thunderbird
owner and peers to decide if a module is needed for that. Note that we
traditionally didn't even have an actual module structure for non-code
stuff like marketing, as those might be better organized in a different
way, e.g. by the bodies caring about shipping products. That said, we
have added some non-code modules in the last year or two, but we're
still not completely convinced that this would be the right thing to do
for everything. I don't think we have a Firefox Marketing module, for
example, this just falls to the appropriate team inside the paid staff
right now, AFAIK.
We have the marketing responsibility in some submodule in SeaMonkey, and
the SeaMonkey project never asked the module ownership group for how to
form submodules like that - and doesn't have to.

Robert Kaiser