list of TB contributors and governance

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Tue Oct 23 05:38:00 UTC 2012

On 10/22/2012 9:32 PM, David Ascher wrote:
> I guess I don't understand why you called out the module ownership module owners as the people who need to make that strategic choice.
Perhaps because it is in their job description as I read it (the module
structure strategic choice)? It is clear though that we both believe
they are not going to take the initiative to fill vacant roles, or
create and staff new modules for Thunderbird. They will review and
approve when others do that, but I don't see who those "others" are.
Without a stronger Thunderbird community governance model, that role
(and other strategic issues) defaults to Standard8 and JB, and I don't
think either of them really want that job or responsibility.

> What do you feel would be the right step to empower the community?
The group that defacto will decide the future of Thunderbird is the
"significant contributor" community. That group, in addition to being
asked to do most of the work, should have real collective authority over
the direction that the product will go. The way I am proposing to
achieve that is to have a recognized, managed list of significant
contributors who have the opportunity to vote on significant issues that
affect product direction, such as project governance. If you look at the
list, it includes not only developers, but QA, support, corporate
sponsors, addon developers, etc.

I don't claim this is going to suddenly increase involvement by an order
of magnitude, but I do think it is an important step toward letting this
community move toward taking responsibility for Thunderbird.

:rkent