list of TB contributors and governance

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Tue Oct 23 04:27:45 UTC 2012

On 10/22/2012 8:04 PM, David Ascher wrote:
> I would strongly urge you to get those existing structures to respond to a concrete proposal from "the Thunderbird community" before discounting them.  If you assert independence from all Mozilla structures, then it'll be hard to argue that you should be allowed to use the Mozilla assets, be they infrastructure or brand power.
>
> ... I don't believe you'll find Mozilla staff clinging to that control on a detail level, but I do believe that Mozilla governance systems will resist proposals that are seen as not thought through enough.
I really don't see why you are reading into what I said "independence
from all Mozilla structures" and "Mozilla staff clinging to that control
at a detail level". I am neither anti-Mozilla, not anti-Mozilla staff.

But I don't see a governance system in place now that is capable of
making strategic choices about the future of the product, or taking on
new initiatives such as monetization - or of making the "concrete
proposal" that you say would be considered. I have every reason to
believe that the Mozilla structures will respond favorably to an
empowered community. Also this is not a zero-sum game. Empowering the
community of significant contributors does not imply that Mozilla needs
to be un-empowered.

:rkent