list of TB contributors and governance

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Tue Oct 23 02:50:29 UTC 2012

On 10/22/2012 6:47 PM, Blake Winton wrote:
> On 22-10-12 19:48 , Kent James wrote:
>> 3) The module list is directly controlled by Mozilla insiders, and
>> not my the broader community of people who contribute to Thunderbird.
> For my part, if people feel that I'm a Mozilla insider, and would like
> to take over as the UX Lead module owner, I would be happy to step
> down in order to strengthen the community (assuming, of course, that
> the rest of the community is okay with the new person).
>
> Later,
> Blake.

The "Mozilla insiders"  that I was talking about are the owners and
peers of the "Module Ownership System" module, which has the
responsibility according to
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Modules/Activities#Module_Ownership_System to be:

  * Filling vacant roles where appropriate
  * Ensuring module owners are fulfilling their responsibilities, and
    replacing those who are not
  * Creating and staffing new modules where new parts of the project
    evolve.
  * Figuring out what to do if a module isn't getting enough attention
  * Resolving conflicts among module owners

That list is Brendan Eich, Stuart Parmenter, Dan Mosedale, Robert
Kaiser, Mike Connor, David Barron, Frank Hecker, and Mitchell Baker. I
just don't think that is the best list of people to, for example, decide
that a Thunderbird Marketing module is needed, fill that role, and
ensure that the module owner is fulfilling their responsibilities. They
simply are not going to do that. That is not meant to be an anti-Mozilla
statement, it's just that Mozilla no longer has the same passion for
Thunderbird that I think exists in the broader list of significant
contributors. We need to do what we can to empower and inspire that
broader group. Giving them a real say in the future of the product is
part of that.

I also had no intention of implying that current or former Mozilla staff
are somehow to be discounted in all of this. I think we are all
appreciative that Mozilla is providing staff for the certain aspects of
Thunderbird, and that some people who are currently working for Mozilla
in other capacities continue to want to be involved. I'm hoping Bryan
that you and other Mozilla staff will continue to be involved, and that
you can continue to do the roles in the future that you have done in the
past.

But you have asked why it is important to know who is or is not Mozilla
staff.  The main reason for this is that the degree of participation in
Thunderbird has often changed dramatically for individuals when they
become Mozilla staff, and when they stop being staff (or stop being
assigned to Thunderbird), so in trying to anticipate participation
levels in the future, these changes are important to know. The
participation of people like Wayne and I are driven by entirely
different issues than, say, asuth or Irving. This is not meant to imply
that Mozilla people are either more or less welcome in leadership roles.

:rkent