list of TB contributors and governance

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 00:10:21 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Kent James <kent at caspia.com> wrote:

> While aceman and I worked together to come up with the list of TB
> contributors, I had a little different purpose in mind than he had.
>
> I've stated here several times that I don't believe that a future
> Thunderbird governance model which is based on the list of Thunderbird
> module owners is the best model. The model that I have been considering
> proposing instead is to use a list of significant contributors, and let
> that list of significant contributors vote democratically on governance
> issues (that is, one vote per person). So my contribution to the list
> originally started by aceman had that in mind as a secondary purpose. As
> you can see, about 70 people form that list, and IMHO are the correct group
> to have ultimate authority over key Thunderbird decisions.
>
> Although I am not that familiar with the Plone project, this model is very
> similar to the description that they have on their website for their
> governance. In particular, they have thought through the definition of a
> "significant contributor" and have established a list of guidelines here
> http://plone.org/foundation/**membership/meritguidelines/<http://plone.org/foundation/membership/meritguidelines/>that could serve as an example of what I am proposing. I would expect that
> the broad list of significant contributors would probably want to establish
> a smaller governing council of some sort that would make more routine
> decisions.
>
> Although I am not yet prepared to give a full description or defense of
> this proposal, let me state some of the reasons that I don't see the module
> owners list as being the best model:
>
> 1) Issues that may generate some controversy, such as recent discussions
> of how to raise money and how to spend money, currently have no way to
> reach a resolution, as there is no functioning body that is taking
> responsibility for such decisions.
>
> 2) The module owner list is too narrow. There is no real place for many
> stakeholders to have a voice in big issues.
>
> 3) The module list is directly controlled by Mozilla insiders, and not my
> the broader community of people who contribute to Thunderbird.
>
> 4) Certain critical roles, particularly in areas such as marketing, are
> not being filled, and no person or group is in a position to advocate to
> get them filled.

I would be more than happy to volunteer to help with Marketing/Evangelism
for TB.

> 5) I don't see any evidence that the module owners, as a group, are taking
> responsibility for broader issues of Thunderbird direction.
>
> :rkent

 Benjamin Kerensa
Tech Writer & Social Media Guru <http://benjaminkerensa.com>
Phone: (503) 564-8608
 <http://facebook.com/bkerensa>  <http://twitter.com>
<https://plus.google.com/u/0/115750270177636397262>
  <http://www.stumbleupon.com/stumbler/bkerensa/>
<http://www.reddit.com/user/bkerensa>
  <http://flickr.com/bkerensa>  <http://benjaminkerensa.com>
<http://wiki.ubuntu.com/bkerensa>
  <http://www.last.fm/user/bkerensa>

*This message may contain information which is privileged or confidential.
If you are not the named addressee of this message please destroy it
without reading, using, copying or disclosing its contents to any other
person.*