Generating revenue for TB and "What do we need money for"

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Fri Oct 5 15:41:55 UTC 2012

On 05/10/12 16:36, Jb Piacentino wrote:
> First, I think it is a good idea to investigate if there can be an
> outside fund collecting money for Thunderbird. We have a proposal from
> MoFo, but it's worth looking if there are better options, be it for the
> sake of identifying yet unknown issues.

Feel free to do this if you like, but it does seem to me that this
thread has a puzzling undertone of "keep the money away from MoFo
because they'll do something bad with it or not spend it on us". We
should dismiss that idea. If we set it up so Thunderbird donations come
in to MoFo, that money will be at the disposal of the Thunderbird
project and its appointed leaders.

MoFo is the support structure that the Mozilla project created to do
precisely this sort of task - be a legal entity handling money,
donations in particular, on behalf of Mozilla projects. If it's not fit
for that purpose, that's a serious problem, and we should fix it, not
work around it.

Gerv