Generating revenue for TB and "What do we need money for"

Jb Piacentino jb at mozilla.com
Fri Oct 5 15:36:26 UTC 2012

Axel,

First, I think it is a good idea to investigate if there can be an
outside fund collecting money for Thunderbird. We have a proposal from
MoFo, but it's worth looking if there are better options, be it for the
sake of identifying yet unknown issues.

Second, I don't think we're opposed to discussing the role of an outside
leader, but you'll need to define what it means, what profile, what
mission, what reporting... This boils down to the conversation we have
had on the need (or lack) of project/product management back in Warsaw
and on this mailing list. I am personally not convinced Thunderbird
needs an additional layer of management at the moment, but as expressed
many times, I am happy to be convinced of the opposite. In addition, I
am convinced we can revise the governance model as we progress past TB 17.

(as a personal note, I hate the idea that this debate becomes a Mozilla
vs the community, ie us vs. them. We (as much as I do) trust the
community enough to call it to bridge and let it steer. It is pretty
much as if you were buying a car, paying the maintenance and insurance,
and putting someone else behind the wheel. Would you do this for someone
you don't trust ?)

Jb