Generating revenue for TB and "What do we need money for"

Jb Piacentino jb at mozilla.com
Fri Oct 5 12:50:41 UTC 2012

Folks,

I would like to make sure we're not going into false assumptions. I hear
from many conversations saying there is a need to fund Thunderbird
activities and would like to offer my perspective on the subject.

The thread started by Anne-Marie yesterday was meant to openly discuss
1 -  _why_ do we think we need money, in other words, to what purpose
would this money be used.
2 -  identify possible revenue sources to support those needs.

Under the new governance model, Mozilla will fund a sufficient enough
team of Mozilla employees to ensure Thunderbird
     1) is maintained safe and secure
     2) can receive community contributed innovations and integrate them
in new releases.
Mozilla is not going to recruit additional people in this team,
regardless of how much revenue can be generated by Thunderbird, if any.
[As a side note, the list of Module Owners must evolve to better reflect
contributors participation and competencies. As this time, there are too
many Module owners are employees: I am sure they are willing to step
down in favor of volunteers, provided that there are recognized by their
peers as competent for the mission.]

However, additional resources can be contributed by volunteers to
maintain and evolve the product, at their own will, where they see fit
for the project and entirely graciously: no compensation can be expected
from Mozilla in return of those contributions.
But we all understand the limits of volunteering and that possibly,
individual contributors need to be compensated for the time spent in
contributing. Let's be clear: this is no longer volunteer work, but
rather paid-for contributions. And we're interested in discussing this
because  they might benefit Thunderbird evolution and encourage
contributions.

So from my perspective, this brings us down to two different kinds of
paid-for contributions:

- Own initiative: Contributor is compensated for his/her contribution
One example is paid addons (and Anne-Marie is offering her help to
explore distribution, transaction platforms...). Professional services
such as support & deployment can be in this category. There might be
other examples of own initiatives compensations but they don't spring to
my mind. Thunderbird governance bodies (Module Owners & Release Drivers
team) have no need to be involved in this, nor have they a say.

- Sponsored contribution: a certain feature development gets funded
a) To start with, let's say some community members (group of users,
enterprise, government...) want to have a certain feature developed, and
have managed to get funding for it. They might contract with Thunderbird
developer(s) directly or through third party to develop it.Maybe there
is a way for this group to contract with MoFo (Gerv?). Or, they may
simply mobilize their own resources (in the case of governments or
corporate contributions).
If the feature is to be contributed to Thunderbird core code,
Thunderbird governance bodies (Module Owners & Release Drivers team)
must be involved in their corresponding assignments.
b) Another situation may arise if the feature request comes from
Thunderbird Governance bodies. I then assume they should be able to tap
into the pot and contract with developer(s), in the same way as above.

That brings us talking about the pot and where does the money comes from
(note: the pot is not used to fund Own Initiatives).

- In-app revenues:
Thunderbird has several partnerships in place designed to compensate
commercial products distribution: Search, Email account provisionner and
Filelink. For administrative reasons, as well as taking into
consideration that since we're with these features we lack visibility on
the revenue potential, this money must stay in Mozilla Corporation and
kept aside for Thunderbird engagement activities: meetups, gears...

- Donations:
As Gerv confirmed, it is fairly easy to open a Thunderbird donation line
at the Mozilla Foundation level. This money could be controlled by the
Thunderbird Governance bodies (details tbd) and be used for Engagement
and Sponsored contributions, as described above.

I hope this clarifies things and helps moving forward. As usual, this is
open for discussion, questions and comments.

Best,

Jb