Generating revenue for TB and "What do we need money for"

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Thu Oct 4 21:18:17 UTC 2012

On 10/4/2012 1:36 PM, Axel wrote:
> As long as management is not sorted out, I think it is rather
> pointless talking about distributing moneys...

But I think that Mozilla's position is that the management has been
sorted out, and the management team is the list of mostly current or ex
Mozilla staff people that are the Thunderbird module owners who I listed
earlier.

I'd like to ask a little forgiveness here, I feel like I am just sniping
at people instead of giving meaningful responses. If I might summarize
my position in a short response instead of sniping, it would be this:

I don't feel like that management structure, or the philosophy of "money
cannot be used to hire or contract additional developers" is the best
way forward, but I don't feel like my position is broadly supported by
key contributors or Mozilla. I find that enormously frustrating. What
*/is/* the best way forward is an aggressive approach to monetization
that is used to fund further development and other support activities,
with the objective of moving Thunderbird forward in various directions.

So where do we spend the money? Doing what we have been doing, and more.
For that discussion to move forward we need to have a reasonable hope of
raising of the order of $1,000,000 per year, and I think that is what
people seriously doubt is possible. But I personally have a hard time
getting excited about an alternate plan that asks for me to volunteer
large amounts of time for the foreseeable future - yet others are
supposedly (or hopefully) willing to do so, which puts me in an awkward,
apparently minority position.

:rkent