Adding Exchange ActiveSync configs to the Mozilla ISP DB?

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Fri Nov 30 18:57:31 UTC 2012

Am 30.11.2012 19:31, schrieb Kent James:
> When trying to support auto configure, particularly for a minority
> email client like Thunderbird that may be used in an environment where
> the majority of users are on another client, then the issue is not
> what it is possible for the email admin to figure, but whether we
> support what they actually configured.

Kent and Christian are talking from different perspectives. You want a
to replace a single Outlook desktop with a Thunderbird desktop in an
corporate Exchange environment. Christian is helping ISPs and admins of
other big installations in setting up autoconfig on their domains. I
very much like that he writes software that supports both our
autoconfigure method (as well as the Outlook one), and tries to make
that easy and flexible to set up.

> A SRV record has a big advantage over other methods (it does not
> require that a webserver exist at the domain name, or if it does exist
> it does not require the email admin group to administer either a
> subdomain or redirect at that site)

That's strictly not true. A SRV record requires a change in the DNS
records of each mail domain, but no server in that domain.
Our autoconfig method requires that there is an A record for
autoconfig.<domain>, and it points to an HTTP server. Note that I
intentionally did not require an A record on <domain> directly. The HTTP
server itself does not need to be "at" that domain, but a single server
(like Christian wrote) can serve thousands of domains.
<https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Thunderbird/Autoconfiguration>
describes how to do that. Effectively, all you need to do in each domain
is adding one DNS record, and with SRV all you need to do is add one DNS
record, so the methods are almost equivalent. For many, an A record is
easier to set up than a SRV record, though. This is not a coincidence,
but our method was specifically designed like that.