Weekly Status Meeting Regular Agenda

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Thu Nov 29 17:48:05 UTC 2012

On 11/29/2012 2:28 AM, Mark Banner wrote:
> As mentioned, lets use this thread for what you'd like to see on the
> Agenda for status meetings. Are we missing things you'd like to see,
> are there things you'd like to add?

We should do away with the long list of status updates for Extension,
QA, Marketing, Build, Web, Support, and Lightning. Replace this instead
with simply "Announcements and Updates" which replaces "Status Updates,"
perhaps give the floor briefly to every one who attends, and encourage
questions or comments on what they are doing. Give up on the "Mozilla
Status Board" (which is months out of date). The point of this is to get
to know each other a little better since we don't have regular physical
contact.

I would however include a specific agenda item for "Critical and
Emerging Support Issues" as we need better ways to surface problems that
need urgent attention.

The thing that is missing, though sometimes included in the Roundtable,
is discussing big-picture and elephant-in-the-room issues. These
questions currently are mostly discussed in tb-planning if at all. The
face-to-face of the meeting is a good venue for those kinds of issues.

But it is pointless to talk and discuss if there is no real way to
resolve issues. If we have an effective governance team, then that team
should be present and vocal in the discussions, and available to make
some sort of decision. (The implicit decision to have a weak governance
system is exactly one of those elephant-in-the-room questions that needs
to be discussed.)

The discussion of big-picture and elephant-in-the-room issues could
proceed as follows. A week or so before each meeting, issues for the
meeting are brought up on tb-planning with initial discussion there. At
the meeting, the discussions are continued verbally, and if necessary
formal decisions reached preferably by consensus, but otherwise as a
formal vote of the governing team at the meeting itself. So these
meeting are implicitly also the meetings of the governing team.

:rkent