Adding Exchange ActiveSync configs to the Mozilla ISP DB?

Jim squibblyflabbetydoo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 01:47:34 UTC 2012

On 11/28/2012 11:30 AM, Ben Bucksch wrote:
> Am 28.11.2012 17:59, schrieb Kent James (mobile):
>>  5) Query the domain for ActiveSync Autodiscover at
>>     `https://<domain>/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml` and
>> `https://autodiscover.<domain>/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml`
>
> I wanted to implement that in TB back in 2010, and talked with Microsoft
> Exchange people, and they were insisting that I cannot do this (I won't
> be able to get to these above files) without having credentials in form
> of Windows username (with domain) and password.

Well, that's stupid. I'm guessing these credentials go in the HTTP
Authorization header, as the Autodiscover request body doesn't have a
place for the username? In any case, the Autodiscover code is totally
separate from the ActiveSync code, so if it turns out that Autodiscovery
doesn't work in general, it's easy to eliminate.

> I am not particularly thrilled about having ActiveSync configs in the
> ISPDB, because ActiveSync is a proprietary protocol. If it's just for a
> few Microsoft domains, I'd prefer to keep them under the rug, i.e.
> shipping them with the app.

At the moment, I'm not sure what domains we'd list, but my thinking was
that we'd have ActiveSync configs for servers where ActiveSync is the
highest-quality protocol to allow consumers of the ISPDB (not
necessarily us) to make things work the best for users.

While I'm generally in favor of us promoting standards instead of
proprietary protocols, I'm personally less bothered by listing
ActiveSync configs in the ISPDB because we're merely providing MUAs with
information to do with as they please.

Anyway, we might never need to do this at all, but I wanted to be sure
there weren't any blockers on our end before I suggest it. It's not even
something I plan on suggesting right now, but if we found some popular
ISPs that only supported ActiveSync (or had crappy IMAP
implementations), it would be good to know we could add them to the ISPDB.

- Jim