Adding Exchange ActiveSync configs to the Mozilla ISP DB?

Ben Bucksch ben.bucksch at beonex.com
Wed Nov 28 17:30:25 UTC 2012

Am 28.11.2012 17:59, schrieb Kent James (mobile):
>  5) Query the domain for ActiveSync Autodiscover at
>     `https://<domain>/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml` and
> `https://autodiscover.<domain>/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml`

I wanted to implement that in TB back in 2010, and talked with Microsoft
Exchange people, and they were insisting that I cannot do this (I won't
be able to get to these above files) without having credentials in form
of Windows username (with domain) and password. For me, that was a
no-go, because the Windows username is often in a strange form, and
finding out which username form we need is exactly part of the problem
that I had as end user in practice and that I tried to solve with
autoconfig.

Note that I was mostly interested in Exchange server installations
inside companies, not in hotmail.com. If the above steps also work for
normal Exchange installations, it would be good to have them in Thunderbird.

I am not particularly thrilled about having ActiveSync configs in the
ISPDB, because ActiveSync is a proprietary protocol. If it's just for a
few Microsoft domains, I'd prefer to keep them under the rug, i.e.
shipping them with the app. I'd hope that Microsoft will come to senses
and implement IMAP soon. hotmail is the *only* big ISP left that does
proprietary protocols, and one of the few that support only POP3. Given
the strong competition from GMail, I think they'll change their Internet
strategy, so I don't think hotmail is a problem. But Exchange will
continue to be, because company-internal servers (Exchange and Linux)
have about 50% market share, while hotmail has 3%.