Adding Exchange ActiveSync configs to the Mozilla ISP DB?

Jim squibblyflabbetydoo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 05:29:43 UTC 2012

On 11/27/2012 10:12 PM, Blake Winton wrote:
> So, as long as you make sure that any given ActiveSync config
> also has a pop/imap config, I don't see any problem.

For Hotmail (the main domain that prompted this), we'll always have a
POP config, so we should be good there.

> I do wonder, though, if we should try to skip the Thunderbird ISPDB for
> this case, and instead use the Exchange autoconfig, if that's even a thing…

Exchange does have the Autodiscovery service, which we already try in
our code. The logic is as follows:

  1) Check hardcoded account settings for the domain (for unit tests)
  2) Check locally stored XML config files in Gaia for the domain
  4) Look on the domain for an XML config file at
     `http://autoconfig.<domain>/mail/config-v1.1.xml` and
     `http://<domain>/.well-known/autoconfig/mail/config-v1.1.xml`
  5) Query the domain for ActiveSync Autodiscover at
     `https://<domain>/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml` and
     `https://autodiscover.<domain>/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml`
  6) Check the Mozilla ISPDB for an XML config file for the domain
  7) Perform an MX lookup on the domain, and, if we get a different
     domain, check the Mozilla ISPDB for that domain too.

Unfortunately for us, many servers (even Microsoft-hosted ones) don't
support Autodiscovery. In fact, it seems that every Hotmail domain other
than hotmail.com doesn't support Autodiscovery. Thus, we need to have
our own autoconfig files. For the time being, we're storing them locally
(see step 2), but we might end up at a point where that's untenable if
there are too many such domains, hence my email.

- Jim