Adding Exchange ActiveSync configs to the Mozilla ISP DB?

Blake Winton bwinton at mozilla.com
Wed Nov 28 04:12:15 UTC 2012

On 27-11-12 22:32 , Jim wrote:
> I mentioned a while back that the Gaia email app is using the Mozilla
> ISP DB to help configure users' email accounts. One important
> difference between Thunderbird and the Gaia app is that the latter
> supports Exchange ActiveSync (notably used by Hotmail).
>
> Obviously, the autoconfig files in the ISP DB don't list ActiveSync
> config info. Does anyone foresee a problem with adding ActiveSync
> configs to these files where appropriate?
I'm broadly in favour, but have a couple of concerns, which I will now
work through in this email.  ;)
> Thoughts?
On the one hand, readFromXML
<http://mxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/source/mailnews/base/prefs/content/accountcreation/readFromXML.js#51>
will throw an exception if the type of an incomingServer isn't one of
["pop3", "imap", "nntp"]
<http://mxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/source/mailnews/base/prefs/content/accountcreation/readFromXML.js#57>.
But, it looks like we trap that
<http://mxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/source/mailnews/base/prefs/content/accountcreation/readFromXML.js#123>,
and only actually throw if none of the incomingServers have a valid
type.  So, as long as you make sure that any given ActiveSync config
also has a pop/imap config, I don't see any problem.

I do wonder, though, if we should try to skip the Thunderbird ISPDB for
this case, and instead use the Exchange autoconfig, if that's even a
thing...

Later,
Blake.

--
Blake Winton   Thunderbird User Experience Lead
bwinton at mozilla.com