New reply: A: Disable QuickText addon Upgrade to ver17 crashes on compo...

Axel axel.grude at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 21 19:18:56 UTC 2012

Hi Marc,

I think I have an answer for number 5. :)
> 5. do we really need the new user menu insteat of in Firefox used window buttons
> (minimize, maximize and close), it is complete other then in firefox and for me
> absolutly horrible!

You can use the setting *mail.tabs.drawInTitlebar = false* and then enable menus then
everything will be back to the way it was in Thunderbird16 and before. My guess is
that there wasn't enough time to produce a full-blown "Thunderbird button" (a la
Firefox) that could reside in the caption bar - who knows maybe there will be one in
Thunderbird24?

I also heard a rumour that the "Firefox button" is the single most performance hungry
widget in the whole of Firefox; personally I do not care much for tabs in caption as
that seriously impacts usability in my windows themes.

I like to see the min/max/restore/close buttons styled by my OS styling engine, and I
also prefer to see the _current document title in the caption_; so with this setting
set to false, I get:

    /Tb Theme: Walnut2, Windowblinds Skin "Flex Texture" by Umami, using the "Wood"
    Style./
    /*mail.tabs.drawInTitlebar = false*/

I will lobby for this "more traditional" mode to be kept for the future for those
users who like to experiment with different desktop themes .

Without this setting, Thunderbird looks pretty horrible (note the titlebar):

    /Tb Theme: Walnut2, Windowblinds Skin "Flex Texture" by Umami, using the "Wood"
    Style./
    /*mail.tabs.drawInTitlebar = true  (default)*/

Please note, I deliberately chose a small window size in order to preserve bandwidth
(a fact that is somewhat jeopardized by the fact that I am using a textured theme).
Maybe it would be better to discuss these topics on the

mozilla.support.thunderbird

newsgroup? As regards QuickText misbehaving, I really think you should contact the
author of the Addon himself (or herself)...

hth,
   Axel