Thunderbird and the LDAP c-sdk

Joshua Cranmer pidgeot18 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 16:38:33 UTC 2012

On 11/19/2012 6:01 AM, Ludovic Hirlimann wrote:
> On 11/18/12 4:01 PM, Joshua Cranmer wrote:
>> 3. Drop a copy of OpenLDAP into our tree and delete the code for
>> using Mozilla LDAP SDKs.
>>

>> Thoughts/questions/comments/concerns?
> As OpenLDAP more active development than the sdk we currently use ?

OpenLDAP released 2.4.24 in early 2011 and is currently on 2.4.33; its
git repository lists several changesets in the past few months, although
they mostly appear to focus on server development. As LDAP is
effectively a mature technology, and also one that is more heavily used
by slower-moving large enterprises, I think this is as active as any
other LDAP package you'll see.

> Would it come with unit tests ? How much work would it be to add unit
> testing while switching libraries ?

OpenLDAP comes with a decently comprehensive test suite, but those
appear to focus on testing the server implementation. Reusing slapd (the
server) for LDAP testing in Thunderbird doesn't appear to be too
difficult (apparently, configuration is moving to an LDAP backend [1],
and there's a tool explicitly for slurping in data in LDIF format),
modulo the fact that it would require setTimeout-ish calls.

[1] Yo dawg, I heard you liked LDAP so I configured your LDAP server's
LDAP backend with LDAP?

--
Joshua Cranmer
News submodule owner