Governance and Release Model updates

Andrew Sutherland asutherland at asutherland.org
Fri Nov 16 02:10:04 UTC 2012

On 11/15/2012 07:44 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> Since Gaia is where Mozilla is putting all of their resources, and
> since I have heard many calls for a Mobile version of Thunderbird, why
> not simply initiate an effort to create a Desktop App version of Gaia,
> eventually to *replace* Thunderbird? I understand it would be a longer
> process, and efforts would still be required to keep Thunderbird
> updated, at least with Security Updates, but for the longer term, this
> just makes much more sense to me. It would provide a path for total
> modernization of the Thunderbird codebase, which is one of the biggest
> reasons I have heard for long standing bugs not getting fixed.

I would indeed encourage everyone interested in messaging to consider
contributing to the gaia e-mail app back-end or to attempt to build
their own front-ends on top.  But they should also keep in mind that our
feature-set is currently very limited and targeted exclusively at
resource constrained mobile devices.  It will be quite some time before
we will be competitive with Thunderbird in terms of features, let alone
extensibility, and the B2G project most definitely does not have a goal
of creating a desktop-class e-mail app at this time.  (No gloda!)

Which is to say, I think Thunderbird will continue to remain viable and
no one should take the existence of Gaia's E-mail app as a source of
stop-energy.  Things implemented in HTML rather than XUL and JS rather
than C++ have a much greater potential to be reused in a desktop e-mail
client backed by the gaia e-mail libs, so I would suggest biasing
efforts in those directions when possible.  Joshua's JS MIME parser is a
great example of such potential synergy.

Andrew