Governance and Release Model updates

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Thu Nov 15 12:44:31 UTC 2012

On 2012-11-14 12:42 PM, Kent James <kent at caspia.com> wrote:
> One of our overall module owners now is David Bienvenu, who works for
> Google. Even within Mozilla, squib and asuth now work on the Gaia email
> product, which is at least somewhat competitive with Thunderbird.

Since Gaia is where Mozilla is putting all of their resources, and since
I have heard many calls for a Mobile version of Thunderbird, why not
simply initiate an effort to create a Desktop App version of Gaia,
eventually to *replace* Thunderbird? I understand it would be a longer
process, and efforts would still be required to keep Thunderbird
updated, at least with Security Updates, but for the longer term, this
just makes much more sense to me. It would provide a path for total
modernization of the Thunderbird codebase, which is one of the biggest
reasons I have heard for long standing bugs not getting fixed.