Governance and Release Model updates

Kent James kent at caspia.com
Wed Nov 14 16:21:51 UTC 2012

On 11/14/2012 2:05 AM, Gervase Markham wrote:
> I guess the question would be: does Swanfox have a privileged
> relationship with Mozilla? Having their addons directly promoted
> inside the Mozilla-shipped product would imply so. I wonder whether
> Mozilla would be ideologically keener on a "level playing field"
> model, where any number of companies could provide services around
> Thunderbird on an equal basis.
>
> Then again, if we don't even have one such company, there's not much
> point planning for 10.
I like the way that you expressed this question, Gerv - "does Swanfox
have a privileged relationship with Mozilla"? The short answer is
ideally yes. How to do that in a way that is comfortable to Mozilla and
the Thunderbird community, and viable for the Swanfox contributors, is
of course a very difficult question. All I can ask for now is an open
mind. Nobody is agreeing to anything yet, nor will they for months, we
are just talking.

I think that one thing we can all agree on is that making this happen is
going to be extremely difficult, and we will need every advantage that
we can muster. After all, David Ascher's Momo company and JB's
Thunderbird labs project had an extremely privileged relationship to
Mozilla, and they failed to generate sufficient income to make
Thunderbird self-supporting. The goal here is to try to keep as many of
those privileges as possible, while identifying and shedding any
obstacles or biases that blocked progress. That is going to be a painful
process, as we have to deconstruct Mozilla culture and separate the
chaff from the core values. "Mozilla would be ideologically keener on a
'level playing field' model, where any number of companies could provide
services around Thunderbird on an equal basis" is a perfect example of
an existing expectation of Mozilla culture that may need to be rethought
as you focus on your true core values, like what is really in the best
long-term interest of Thunderbird users?

:rkent